To the Honourable S.r Richard Anderson Bar;t this Plate of the Mannor House of Penley is Pa. 594
Humbly Dedicated by John Oliver
[Sir Henry Chauncy c.1700]
Engraving plate 285 x 375mm (11¼ x 14¾") Centre fold as issued. Some creasing. A few tears to marins. Slight ink offset.
Published for the first edition of Sir Henry Chauncy's (1632 - 1719) Historical Antiquities of Hertfordshire 1700. he manor of Pendley pre-dates the Norman Conquest of 1066, after which it was confiscated by William the Conqueror and passed to his brother-in-law, Robert, Count of Mortain (c. 1031-c.1095), and a later owner was John de Angle, an early Member of Parliament. In 1440 Sir Robert Whittingham (or Whytingham) and his wife Agnes received a grant of free warren from King Henry VI at Pendley manor; he enclosed 200 acres and tore down the buildings on the land, returning the estate to pasture. He built a manor house at the western end of the now-demolished town as a double cloistered courtyard as well as building a Chapel. On the accession of Edward IV (1442 -1483) he granted Pendley manor to George Neville, Bishop of Exeter in 1461 which then passed on to the Verney family through marriage. The Verney family lived at the medieval manor for the next 150 years, until it was passed on to the Anderson family. Sir Richard Anderson, 2nd Baronet (c. 1635-1699) owned the Penley estate when the print was made.
[Ref: 56224] £95.00
[Sir Henry Chauncy c.1700]
Engraving plate 285 x 375mm (11¼ x 14¾") Centre fold as issued. Some creasing. A few tears to marins. Slight ink offset.
Published for the first edition of Sir Henry Chauncy's (1632 - 1719) Historical Antiquities of Hertfordshire 1700. he manor of Pendley pre-dates the Norman Conquest of 1066, after which it was confiscated by William the Conqueror and passed to his brother-in-law, Robert, Count of Mortain (c. 1031-c.1095), and a later owner was John de Angle, an early Member of Parliament. In 1440 Sir Robert Whittingham (or Whytingham) and his wife Agnes received a grant of free warren from King Henry VI at Pendley manor; he enclosed 200 acres and tore down the buildings on the land, returning the estate to pasture. He built a manor house at the western end of the now-demolished town as a double cloistered courtyard as well as building a Chapel. On the accession of Edward IV (1442 -1483) he granted Pendley manor to George Neville, Bishop of Exeter in 1461 which then passed on to the Verney family through marriage. The Verney family lived at the medieval manor for the next 150 years, until it was passed on to the Anderson family. Sir Richard Anderson, 2nd Baronet (c. 1635-1699) owned the Penley estate when the print was made.
[Ref: 56224] £95.00
