VAT included (see terms) | Exclude VAT
[Six view of Hampton Court.]
[Six view of Hampton Court.] No 1. West Front of the Royal Palace at Hampton Court. [&] No 2. East Front of the First Principal Court. [&] No 3. West Front of the First Principal Court. [&] No 4. North Front of the Second Principal Court. [&] No 5. South Front of the Second Principal Court. [&] No 6. South and East Fronts of the Royal Palace at Hampton Court.
Jn.o Spyers del.t et etch'd. F. Jukes Aqua.t Fecit.
Pub: as the Act Directs May 26 1786 by John Spyers Twickenham and F. Jukes No 10 Howland Street, Rathbone Place London.
Rare complete set of six numbered aquatints. Each c. 205 x 280mm (8 x 11") very large margins. First plate with crease and ink spotting.
A series of views of the exterior of Hampton Court Palace, drawn by John Spyers (c.1731-98). Born into a family of nurserymen in Twickenham, Spyers is believed to have surveyed Horace Walpole's gardens at Strawberry Hill for the family, before starting to work for Capability Brown in 1764. While Brown was Chief Gardener at Hampton Court Spyers compiled two albums of watercolours of the palace and Bushy Park which Catherine the Great of Russia purchased for 1,000 roubles in 1778. The albums were rediscovered at the beginning of this century and were loaned to Hampton Court for an exhibition in 2016. Spyers publishing this set and a similar series of local gentlemen's houses in 1786, both aquatinted by Francis Jukes (1747-1812). When he died (in apartments at the palace) he was described as 'Surveyor of Hampton Court'.
[Ref: 51261]   £780.00   view all images for this item
enquire about this item add to your wishlist

Wanstead Grove.
Wanstead Grove.
Hon.ble Anne Rushout. On Stone by W. Gauci.
Printed by Engelmann, & Co. 92, Dean St, Soho.
Lithograph on chine collé. 230 x 310mm (9 x 12¼") very large margins. Some foxing.
Wanstead Grove, designed and built by Lady Anne Rushout, the artist of this view, between 1818-24 and furnished with fittings bought from the sale of Wanstead House in 1822. Lady Anne Rushout (1768-1849) was the eldest daughter of John Rushout, Baron Northwick of Northwick Park. A confirmed spinster, she visted the famous 'Ladys of Llangollen'' several times. She inherited the estate from her uncle George Bowles in 1817, but preferred to demolish the original building. She lived there until her death, painting the area: three volumes of drawings are held in the British Art collection at Yale University.
[Ref: 51318]   £120.00   (£144.00 incl.VAT)
enquire about this item add to your wishlist

Another View of Wanstead House in the County of Esses, the Seat of the Right Hon.ble the Earl of Tylney.
Another View of Wanstead House in the County of Esses, the Seat of the Right Hon.ble the Earl of Tylney.
George Robertson delin.t. Wilson Lowrie sculpsit.
Published Jany. 1st. 1781 by John Boydell Engraver in Cheapside London.
Copper engraving and etching, fine impression. 400 x 554mm (15¾ x 21¾"). Trimmed to plate, backed with paper.
Wanstead House, built in 1715 by Scottish architect Colen Campbell for Sir Richard Child, 3rd Baronet, was the first Palladian mansion built in England. After the notorious rake William Wellesley-Pole ruined the estate, the house's contents were sold at auction in 1825, after which the house demolished and the building materials salvaged also auctioned, raising only £10,000 of the reputed £360,000 cost of building. The surrounding grounds are now Wanstead Park.
[Ref: 51316]   £360.00  
enquire about this item add to your wishlist