VAT included (see terms) | Exclude VAT
Woodlands. The villa of J.J. Angerstein Esq.r.
Woodlands. The villa of J.J. Angerstein Esq.r.
Drawn by J. Hassell.
London Pub.d by J. Hassell 1st Aug.t 1804.
Aquatint with fine hand colour. 195 x 275mm (7¾ x 10¾"), very large margins.
Woodlands House, a Grade II* listed Georgian villa, in Westcombe Park, Greenwich, described in Daniel Lysons' The Environs of London (1796) as occupying 'a situation uncommonly beautiful'. John Julius Angerstein, chairman of Lloyd's from 1790-6, was a friend of George III, Pitt the Younger and Sir Thomas Lawrence. His art collection, which included 'The Rape of the Sabines' by Rubens and Sir Joshua Reynolds's portrait of Garrick between Tragedy and Comedy, was bought by the government for £60,000 to form the nucleus of the National Gallery's collection. Until the Trafalgar Square site was opened the 38 works from Angerstein's collection were displayed in Angerstein's town house in Pall Mall.
[Ref: 58207]   £160.00   (£192.00 incl.VAT)
enquire about this item add to your wishlist

View at Chelsea 1784.
View at Chelsea 1784.
W. Beilby Pinx.t. F Jukes fecit.
London Published Nov. 10.th [1784] by F. Jukes at N.o 16 Howland S.t
Fine coloured aquatint, sheet 230 x 260mm (9 x 10¼"). Trimmed within plate and glued to backing sheet at top. In mount.
Attractive view from the bank of the Thames at Chelsea, London, oval in aquatint masonry frame; with a distant view of All Saints Church, and Battersea Bridge. A carriage travelling down road in foreground, a barge is moored to the right. William Beilby (1740-1819) was a British glassworker known to have produced eminent enamelled glass during the later half of the 18th century. He was brought up in Durham and then later sent as an apprentice to Birmingham until his father's business failed forcing the family to move in 1757 to Newcastle-upon-Tyne to start again. The family then moved again in 1778 to London, then to Scotland. During this period, the family produced no more glass, but Beilby painted more of his exquisite water colours. The engraver, Francis Jukes (1745-1812) was a very early specialist in aquatint, which he learnt from Paul Sandby (1731-1809).
[Ref: 58162]   £360.00  
enquire about this item add to your wishlist

The Royall Hospitall at Chelsey
The Royall Hospitall at Chelsey To the Right Hon.ble S.r Stephen Fox Kn.t Soley Employ'd by King Charles the Second to take care and build the Royal Hospital at Chelsea for y.e Superanuated. and Indigent Officers & Soldiers towards which, he gave the Ground and a third part of his Office of paymaster to the Army which he then Enjoyed and Carryed on the Work with Constant Payments.
[Engraved by Johannes Kip after Leonard Knyff.]
[London: David Mortier, n.d., c.1715.]
Engraving with etching on two sheets conjoined. Total platemark 560 x 895mm (22 x 35¼"). Original binding folds, as normal; old ink pagination.
A bird's eye view of the Royal Hospital at Chelsea, with the river in the foreground and the formal gardens between the river and the hospital. The Westbourne can be seen entering the Thames. This is an early example, before the addition of Joseph Smith's publication line in 1724. The hospital was founded by King Charles II in 1682, however Sir Stephen Fox (1627-1716), to whom this print is dedicated, was the inspiration for its foundation. Fox was a royal administrator and courtier to Charles II and a politician who rose from humble origins, so much so that he became known as 'the richest commoner in the three kingdoms'.
[Ref: 57876]   £990.00  
enquire about this item add to your wishlist

The Supension Bridge At Chelsea,
The Supension Bridge At Chelsea, Now In Course Of Construction For The Commissioners of Her Majesty's Works, And the Royal Military Hospital.
Tho.s Page Engineer. T.A. Prior, Engraver.
Published Nov. 18, 1852, by J & W Robins, 57 Tooley Street, London.
Coloured engraving, framed 400 x 595mm (15¾ x 23½"). Unexamined out of frame.
A view of the proposed Victoria Bridge (Old Chelsea Bridge) designed by British architect and civil engineer Thomas Page (1803 1877). On 31 March 1858 Queen Victoria, accompanied by two of her daughters and en route to the formal opening of Battersea Park, crossed the new bridge and declared it officially open; it was opened to the public three days later, on 3 April 1858. Thomas Abiel Prior (1809 1886) was a British engraver who made a reputation in 1846, with the print Heidelberg Castle and Town, engraved from a drawing by J.M.W Turner and under Turner's supervision; it was published by subscription. He also exhibited twice in his life at the Royal Academy.
[Ref: 58157]   £260.00   (£312.00 incl.VAT)
enquire about this item add to your wishlist

A Prosepect of Chelsea-Bridge Water Works.
A Prosepect of Chelsea-Bridge Water Works.
Sold by A. Benoist, at M.r Masons next door to the Golden Ball in the Hay Market, over against the Opera House. According to Act of Parliament. [n.d., c.1760]
Hand coloured engraving, frame 435 x 560mm (17¼ x 22"). Unexamined out of frame. Some paper toning
The Chelsea Waterworks Company was formed in 1723 and supplied water to Westminster and adjacent parts. It introduced the first iron main in London in 1746. The company held water in reservoirs in Hyde Park and Green Park and pumped water through an elaborate sysstems of canals which covered a large area of today's Pimlico. As the years marched by the water was becoming more and more contaminated and the Company installed the first Sand filtration operation to purify the water. Eventurally in the late nineteenth century the company became part of the Metropolitan Water Board. Longford: 645. the location of the water works is shown in Rocque's map of Chelsea, ref. 18215. See also 26908 for black and white version.
[Ref: 58158]   £260.00   (£312.00 incl.VAT)
enquire about this item add to your wishlist

[Grove House] Roehampton Grove. The Seat of William Gosling Esq.r.
[Grove House] Roehampton Grove. The Seat of William Gosling Esq.r.
Drawn by J. Hassell.
London Pub.d by J. Hassell 1st Aug.t 1804.
Aquatint with fine hand colour. 195 x 275mm (7¾ x 10¾") very large margins.
Grove House, a Grade II* listed house at Roehampton Lane, was built in 1777 by James Wyatt for Sir Joshua Vanneck. At the time of publication it was the residence of a banker, but it is now part of Froebel College, University of Roehampton, still with the ornamental bridge seen on the right.
[Ref: 58206]   £160.00   (£192.00 incl.VAT)
enquire about this item add to your wishlist