VAT included (see terms) | Exclude VAT
[The Encampment at Dadur with the entrance to the Bolan Pass.]
[The Encampment at Dadur with the entrance to the Bolan Pass.]
[Drawn by James Atkinson, lithographed by Louis & Charles Haghe.]
[London: H. Graves & Co., 1842.]
Tinted lithograph with original hand colour. Trimmed to image and laid on card, as issued, image 250 x 365mm (10 x 14¼"). Slight toning of paper.
A view of the Army of the Indus camped on their way to Afghanistan via the Bolan Pass, now in Pakistan. Atkinson described the scene: ''On the foreground is Khalik Dad, Belooch, governor of Dadur and his attendant, and some of the wearied camp-followers preparing their scanty meal. As far as the eye can reach from the camp, desolation has marked this arid spot, and the progress to it was a most arduous one; water rarely met with, but in small quantities, and forage equally scarce''. From the subscription edition of 'Sketches in Afghaunistan' by James Atkinson (1780-1852), 'Superintending Surgeon of the Army of the Indus, Bengal Division' during the ill-fated British expedition into Afghanistan (1838-42). A Persian scholar and linguist, Atkinson has been described as 'a Renaissance man among Anglo-Indians'. Because of his languages he met many of the Afghan protagonists, including both Shah Shoojah-ool-Moolk and Dost Mohammad Khan. Fortunately he left the British garrison in 1840 to take another post, thus avoiding the disastrous retreat from Kabul in 1842. In his book 'The Expedition into Afghanistan', also published 1842, he compared the British presence in Afghanistan to Sisyphus rolling his stone up the hill.
Abbey Travel: 508.
[Ref: 57385]   £360.00  
enquire about this item add to your wishlist

A Front View of the Temple of Solomon with its Holy Vessels also ye Tabernacle of Moses with its appurtenances
A Front View of the Temple of Solomon with its Holy Vessels also ye Tabernacle of Moses with its appurtenances taken from the Modell erected at Hamborough at the Expence of the Learned and Judicious Councellor Schott, and lately brought into Englanbd & shown to his Majesty & the Nobility here with great satisfaction [...]
London Published August 28th 1798 by J. Evans, No 42 Long Lane, West Smithfield.
Etching. Two sheets conjoined, 600 x 940mm (23½ x 37"). Framed. Unexamined out of frame.
A large illustration of a model of the Temple of Jerusalem as imagined by Juan Bautista Villalpando (1552-1608), with 14 insets, including a meeting of the Sanhedrim and the 'Sanctum Sanctorum'. The 3.35 metre long model was made by Rathsherr Gerhard Schott (1641-1702) of Hamburg, to be exhibited alongside an opera ''The Destruction of Jerusalem'', which appeared in two parts in 1692, libretto by Christian Heinrich Postel and music was by the Kapell-meister F. G. Conradi. About 1724 the model was sent to London by Schott's heirs in an attempt to sell it and recoup some of the money spent on building it. The 24th February 1724 issue of the Daily Post advertised ''a large two Sheet print [...] taken from the Model erected at Hamborough, and lately brought to Town'. According to a 1890 letter from the Hamburg Record Office the model is now in the collection of the Royal Saxon Antiquaries Association at Dresden. The publisher John Evans, was a publisher of popular prints, re-issuing old maps and prints.
https://freemasonry.bcy.ca/aqc/schott.html
[Ref: 57312]   £1,350.00  
enquire about this item add to your wishlist