The New Harbour Of Refuge At Holyhead.
Stationers' Almanack, 1858.
Steel engraving, sheet 265 x 455mm. 10½ x 18". Trimmed within plate.
Holyhead is the largest town in the county of Anglesey in the north west of Wales. Holyhead's maritime importance was at its height in the 19th century when the two and a half mile breakwater, widely acknowledged to be one of Britain's finest, was built, creating a safe harbour for vessels caught in stormy waters on their way to Liverpool and the industrial ports of Lancashire. Engraved for the Stationers' Almanack. The Stationers' Company had published the Stationers' Almanack since 1747, a single-sheet which consisted of calendar text set out beneath an engraved headpiece that recorded significant events of the preceeding year.
[Ref: 9986] £180.00