Osborne, The Private Property Of Her Majesty And Prince Albert.Published By Royal Permission.
London J. & W. Robins 57, Tooley Street, London [n.d., c.1850].
Steel engraving, sheet 235 x 450mm. 9¼ x 17¾". Trimmed within plate.
View of the Royal residence Osborne House on the Isle of Wight, engraved for the Stationers' Almanack.. The new Osborne House was built in the style of the Italian Renaissance complete with two pseudo campanile towers between 1845 and 1851. Prince Albert designed the house himself in conjunction with Thomas Cubitt, the London architect and builder whose company also built the main façade of Buckingham Palace. The sale of the Royal Pavilion at Brighton paid for much of the new house's furnishings. The Stationers' Company had published the Stationers' Almanack since 1747, a single-sheet which consisted of calendar text set out beneath an engraved headpiece that recorded significant events of the preceeding year.
[Ref: 9980] £160.00