Views Of The Old And New London Bridges.Drawn And Etched By Edward William Cooke. With Scientific And Historical Notices Of The Two Bridges; Practical Observations On The Tides Of The River Thames; And A Concise Essay On Bridges, From The Earliest Period; &c.&c. Derived From Information Contributed Exclusively For This Work, by George Rennie, Esq. F.R.S. F.A.S. &c.&c.
Complete set of 12 etched plates, loose but offered with original brown cloth-covered binding (folio, 500 x 355mm, 19¾ x 14") and text. 'Old And New London Bridges' stamped in gilt on cover.
Views on the Thames of stages in the demolition of the old London Bridge, and the construction of John Rennie's new bridge. In 1800 it was decided to replace the old bridge, and a competition was held producing many varied designs. In 1824, Rennie's plans were accepted. The bridge was built 180 feet west of the old Bridge and for a time Londoners could see both the old bridge and the new side-by-side. On June 15, 1825, the Lord Mayor of London, John Garratt, laid the first stone, in the presence of the Duke of York. This London Bridge was built out of granite which was quarried on Dartmoor. It was a structure of 5 arches, overall dimensions were 928 feet long and 49 feet wide. When the new bridge was finished and opened by King William and Queen Adelaide in 1831, traffic switched to the huge new structure and the demolition commenced on the old bridge. Edward William Cooke (1811 - 1880) draughtsman, illustrator, wood engraver, etcher and painter of rural and coastal scenes in oil and watercolour; son of engraver George Cooke. He was elected RA in 1864 and produced a number of drawings at Redleaf, the home of William Wells. Dedicated by the artist in ink on the titlepage: 'From E.W. Cooke, to his kind friend [name erased] Venice, Sept. 1853.'
British Library: 000773987.
[Ref: 9819] £1,500.00