To the Mayor and Approved Men of the Borough of Guildford, and the rest of the Subscribers to the Erection of the New Public Buildings in that Town. This View of the Old Corn Market and Tuns Inn, Guildford. is Inscribed by their most obedient and obligedHenry Garling, Architect.
Published Jany, 1819. by Henry Garling 13 Little Janes Street, Bedford Row.
Coloured aquatint with water-colour washed margins. 280 x 230mm.
The Market occupied barely more than a niche in the basement of the Tunn Inn, widened by a flattened roof to the extent of the footway, which was supported by some wooden columns. This roof formed an advantageous balcony to the Inn. In 1818 the Inn was demolished and an archway built. The Corn Exchange occupied the space under the arch with a courtroom for annual assizes at the rear.
[Ref: 9789] £160.00