The Third Temple At Selinus.
Aquatint and etching in sepia, image 310 x 470mm. 12¼ x 18½". Roughly cut into plate at top.
The ruins of one of three temples on the hill to the east of Selinunte (Latin: Selinus), an ancient Greek archaeological site situated on the south coast of Sicily between the valleys of the rivers Belice and Modione. Selinus was founded (628? B.C.) by Dorian Greeks, and finally destroyed by Carthage in 250 B.C. The ruins of the five Doric temples on the Acropolis of Selinus have been excavated, revealing some of the finest examples of archaic Greek sculpture and architecture. Plate to William Wilkins's (1778 - 1839) 'The Antiquities of Magna Graecia', Cambridge, 1807. Magna Graecia (Latin for "Greater Greece") is the name of the area in Southern Italy and Sicily that was colonised by Greek settlers in the eighth century BCE. Wilkins was an architect and one of the leading figures in the English Greek Revival of the early 1800s. On his tour of the classical antiquities of the Mediterranean he was accompanied by the Italian landscape painter Agostino Aglio, who had been commissioned by Wilkins as draughtsman on the expedition. Aglio supplied the drawings for the monument illustrations in Wilkins' folio volume. In 1837 Wilkins became Professor of Architecture at the Royal Academy in succession to Sir John Soane. Numbered 'Chap. 4. Pl. 6.' upper right.
Abbey Travel: 128, 39.
[Ref: 9578] £180.00