Birmingham Town Hall.now erecting by Hansom & Welch Archts. The Exterior of this Building is of Anglesey White Marble. It is intended to celebrate the next Musical Festival in this Building, in October 1833. The Hall for the purposes of Town's Meetings will contain upwards of 8000 persons.
Published March, 1832, by the Artist, Hagley Row, Edgbaston, Birmingham.
Lithograph on india laid paper, 355 x 470mm. 14 x 18½".
A handsome view of Birmingham Town Hall in Victoria Square, Birmingham. Joseph Hansom and Edward Welch were chosen as the architects. Construction began on April 27, 1832 with an expected completion date of 1833. However, Hansom went bankrupt during construction, having tendered too low. The contractors were also losing money. Three guarantors donated money for the building; W. P. Lloyd, John Welch and Edward Tench. With the injection of this money, the building was successfully opened for the delayed Birmingham Triennial Musical Festival on October 7, 1834, despite the building still being unfinished. During construction, on January 26, 1833, two workers were killed when a 70 foot crane constructed to install the roof trusses broke and the pulley block failed. Architect Charles Edge was commissioned in 1835 to repair weaknesses to the design of the building. He was also commissioned for the extension of the building in 1837 and again in 1850.
[Ref: 9465] £220.00