Asylum To Be Erected At Brixton For The Saint Ann's Society Schools.
Lithograph, sheet 380 x 560mm. 15 x 22". Creases where folded, other creasing and small tears.
'Approved G Augustus Frederick R' facsimile manuscript and signature lower right, a reference to the royal patronage conferred by George IV (George Augustus Frederick; 1762 – 1830). The Royal Asylum of St. Ann's Society was founded in 1702 "for the education and support of the daughters of persons once in prosperity, whether orphans or not." The asylum situated on Streatham Hill was erected in 1829 and is described by Edward Walford in 'Brixton and Clapham, Old and New' (1878) as "a handsome building of three storeys, having an Ionic portico and pediment, ornamented by a sculpture of the royal arms."
[Ref: 9307] £280.00