Admodum Reverendis, Amplissimis, Clarissimisq. Viris, Curatoribus ex Authoritate Senatus delegatis ad extruenda Quinquaginta illa Templa qua Hortante et Auspicante ANNAfęlicis Pięq memorię Reginā Londini instaurari cęperunt, Prospectum hunc Templi S.tę Marię in Vico dicto The Strand. Debito Obsequio D. D: Jacobus Gibbs Architectus.
Engraving 600 x 450mm, 23½ x 17¾". Splits in folds.
South west view of St Mary le Strand as proposed by the architect James Gibbs, which was not as completed. It shows a statue of Queen Anne above the portico which was abandoned on her death in 1714. St Mary-le-Strand was James Gibbs' first public building, the first of the fifty new churches built in London under the 'Commission for Building Fifty New Churches', at a cost of some £16,000. Building started in February 1715, but work was halted because of the Jacobite rebellion. Gibbs, a secret Catholic and widely believed to have Jacobite sympathies, was dismissed as Surveyor to the Commissioners for building New Churches in August 1715 but was allowed to complete the church without pay. The steeple was completed in September 1717, although the church was not consecrated for use until 1 January 1723. Gibbs complained about how the commissioners changed his plans, including the addition of the steeple, which meant Gibbs was 'obliged to spread [the church] from south to north, which makes the plan oblong, which should otherwise have been square'.
[Ref: 9029] £280.00