The late Henry Holland, Esqr: _View Hans Place.
Etching, 300 x 205mm. 11¾ x 8".
Henry Holland (1746? - 1806), architect, was a relative of Lancelot Brown, to whose influence he probably owed his first architectural employment. In 1787, he was employed in designing Brighton Pavilion, and the following year began his principal work, the alteration and enlargement of Carlton House, Pall Mall, as a residence for the Prince of Wales. About 1780 Holland purchased a hundred acres of land in Chelsea, as a building speculation; he laid out Sloane Street, erecting the white brick houses there, Cadogan Place, and Hans Place, and erected a villa for himself in Hans Place (seen over his left sholder in the portrait). Part of the ground was afterwards occupied by Prince's Club, and the property has recently been almost entirely rebuilt. Holland died at his house in Hans Place on 17 June 1806, aged about sixty. A marble bust of him by George Garrard (1760 - 1826), the animal painter and sculptor who produced this print in his memory, is placed at the entrance to the sculpture gallery at Woburn Abbey. George Garrard (1760 - 1826) was a painter who turned his attention to the making of casts and models of many subjects, but mainly of domestic animals. He was sponsored by the fifth Duke of Bedford, who was the first president of the Smithfield Club (founded hi I798), and by the third Earl of Egremont, as well as by other members of the Board of Agriculture. Garrard called his house in Hanover Square, London, 'The Agricultural Museum,' and from there he sold his paintings, engraving and models. On Whatman paper watermarked 1805.
[Ref: 8727] £180.00