Fingal's Cave, From The Entrance _ Staffa.
Paris Wild, rue de la Banque 15, pres la Bourse. London, Mucke & Co. 42, Basinghall Street [n.d., c.1860].
Tinted lithograph heightened in white, sheet 630 x 450mm. Tatty extremities.
Fingal's Cave is a sea cave on the uninhabited island of Staffa, in the Inner Hebrides of Scotland. Staffa has impressed us since 1772 when Sir Joseph Banks, an eminent naturalist of the time, “discovered” Staffa - he described its marvels in The Scots Magazine, an important news publication in Scotland at that time. The geology of Staffa, particularly Fingal’s Cave with its cathedral like pillars, encouraged Sir Walter Scott, Queen Victoria, Boswell and Dr Johnson, to name a few, to visit and enthuse. Mendelssohn brought the attention of music lovers everywhere to Staffa when he completed his famous overture in 1831. From a collection of views, inscribed '22' upper right.
[Ref: 8036] £160.00