The Aqeduct at Barton in Lancashire.Built by Her Grace the Duke of Bridgewater.
[Published by Daniel and William Orme, n.d., c.1793.]
Etching and aquatint, open letter proof[?], image 395 x 525mm. Trimmed within plate below, foxing.
The Barton Aqueduct, built by James Brindley (1716 - 1772), one of the earliest English engineers, to allow the Bridgewater Canal to cross the River Irwell. Having been called in by the Duke of Bridgewater (to whom this print is dedicated) in 1759 to advise upon the project for forming a canal by which the produce of the Worsley coal-mines could be cheaply transported to Manchester, Brindley produced a plan of striking originality. This included the construction of the aqueduct in 1761. This canal, suggested to the Duke of Bridgewater by the Grand Canal of Languedoc, was the first of any importance in England, and formed the commencement of the system of inland navigation in this country. Brindley seems to have laid out, or superintended, the construction of over 365 miles of canals. The most important of these was the Trent and Mersey canal, known as the Grand Trunk. The aqueduct was replaced with the current swing aqueduct when the Manchester Ship Canal was constructed because some sailing ships were unable to pass beyond the bridge. From a drawing by William Orme (1771 - 1854; active), landscape and transparency painter, and brother of Daniel and Edward Orme. This plate published under the title 'View of the celebrated aqueduct at Barton in Lancashire' with dedication to the Duke of Norfolk, President of the Society, on August 26th 1793. Very rare.
See BM: 1872,0713.600. From the Blackburn Collection.
[Ref: 8001] £690.00