Ruins of Lisbon as appeared immediately after the Earthquake and Fire of the 1st. Nov.br 1755.St. Roch's Tower, commonly call'd the Patriarch's Tower/ The Opera House/ The Patriarchal Square/ The Church of St. Nicholas/ St. Pauls Church [plates titled in English, Portuguese and French].
London, Printed for Robt. Sayer, Print & Map Seller, opposite Fetter Lane, Fleet Street [c.1760].
Etching and engraving, set of five (incomplete), stitched, each c.280 x 395mm. Some general soiling, spotting and staining, tear just into first plate lower left.
Views in Lisbon, Portugal, in the aftermath of the 1755 earthquake, also known as the Great Lisbon Earthquake. It took place on November 1, 1755 at around 9:40 in the morning. The earthquake was followed by a tsunami and fire, which caused near-total destruction of the city and adjoining areas. Estimates place the death toll between 60,000 to 100,000 people, making it one of the most destructive earthquakes in history. The earthquake accentuated political tensions in Portugal and profoundly disrupted the country's eighteenth century colonial ambitions. The event was widely discussed and dwelt upon by European Enlightenment philosophers, and inspired major developments in theodicy and in the philosophy of the sublime. As the first earthquake studied scientifically for its effects over a large area, it led to the birth of modern seismology. Five plates of six from Sayer's publication of Le Bas's series 'Recueil des plus belles ruines de Lisbonne causées par le tremblement et par le feu du premier Novembre 1755'. The artists, MM. Paris and Pedegache were probably amateur local artists. The French series was advertised by Le Bas in the 'Mercure de France' in March 1758 and Sayer's high-quality piracies must have followed very soon thereafter. The Cathedral plate missing. Strong early impressions.
[Ref: 7971] £750.00