Westminster Hospital This is to Certify that Mr, Francis Cole hath very diligently attended the Practice of this Hospital for Twelve Monthsfrom Nov. 1810
Etched diploma on watermarked laid paper, with vignette of the hospital, signed and dated and completed in ink, sheet 240 x 190mm. Creases from folds, as normal.
Westminster Hospital was founded in 1719, following a meeting in a coffee house, where four men met to discuss a 'charitable proposal for relieving the sick and needy and other distressed persons”. In 1834 a medical school attached to the hospital was formally founded. Westminster Hospital moved from Marsham Street to become Chelsea and Westminster Hospital at the old St Stephen's Hospital site in 1994. One of the signatories is Sir Anthony Carlisle (1768 - 1840). After attending the lectures of John Hunter, Baillie, and Cruikshank, and being the resident pupil of Mr. Henry Watson, surgeon to Westminster Hospital, he succeeded to the surgeoncy in 1793, and held the office till his death in 1840. Carlisle became a fellow of the Royal Society in 1800, and in 1804 delivered the Croonian lecture on ‘Muscular Motion,’ following it by another on the ‘Muscles of Fishes’ in 1805. He contributed other papers on biological subjects to the Philosophical and Linnean ‘Transactions,’ the ‘Philosophical Magazine,’ &c. Carlisle was long a member of the council of the College of Surgeons (from 1815) and an examiner (from April 1825), holding these appointments till death. He took great interest in Westminster Hospital, and was largely instrumental in raising funds for the new building. Carlisle was neither a brilliant anatomist nor physiologist, but was a fairly good surgeon. His introduction of the thin-bladed, straight-edged amputating knife, in place of the old clumsy crooked one, and his use of the simple carpenter's saw make his name chiefly worthy of note.
[Ref: 7951] £180.00