We, The Court of Examiners, chosen and appointed by the Master, Wardens and Assistants of the Society of the Art and Mystery of Apothecaries of the City of London....do hereby, by virtue of the power and Authority in us...certify that Mr: Francis Cole has been carefully and deliberately examined as to his Skill and Abilities in the science and practice of Medicine, and as to his fitness and qualification to practice as an Apothecary....[etc.]
Etched diploma of membership with vignette coat of arms of the Society of Apothecaries, signed and dated and completed in ink, 480 x 370mm.
The Worshipful Society of Apothecaries of London, based at Apothecaries' Hall in Blackfriars, is one of the Livery Companies of the City of London. Originally, apothecaries, or pharmacists, were members of the Grocers' Company. The apothecaries separated from the Grocers in 1617, when they were granted a Royal Charter, and during the rest of the 17th century its members challenged the monopoly of the College of Physicians. The Apothecaries Act 1815 granted the Society the power to license and regulate practitioners of medicine throughout England and Wales. Today, the Society retains such a role as a member of the United Examining Board. Also, the Society grants diplomas in general areas such as Medical Jurisprudence, Medical History, Medical Philosophy, and in specialized fields. On Whatman paper watermarked 1813.
[Ref: 7947] £180.00