Captain R.C. Morgan, Missionary Ship 'John Williams.'
Stipple engraving, sheet 212 x 132mm. Light foxing.
After the missionary John Williams was killed on the island of Erromango in 1839, The London Missionary Society sent out a new ship to continue his work. She was purchased from a fund raised by the juvenile friends of the society and at her dedication it was announced that she be entirely devoted to the service of Christ among the heathen. The new ship was named the 'John Williams' in his honour and was to be the forerunner of six ships bearing his name for missionary work in the south seas. The first of these vessels which was launched in Harwich in March 1844 and sailed from Gravesend on 12th June the same year.
[Ref: 7730] £60.00