Shillington Church Bedfordshire.
Etching, 177 x 240mm. On thin paper with many creases.
Shillington's church, All Saint's Church, has been referred to as the 'Cathedral of the Chilterns', being situated on, one could argue, the most Northernly and last of the Chiltern Hills when travelling from the south. The building was originally a Saxon monastery, which grew richer and more influential through the mining and selling of certain types of clay in the vicinity. F.L. Griggs ( 1876 - 1938), etcher of architectural subjects, landscapes, watercolourist and illustrator. Frederick Landseer Maur Griggs followed the romantic vision of William Blake and Samuel Palmer, while also being inspired by the teachings of William Morris and John Ruskin. Not in Comstock. RIBA stamp lower left.
[Ref: 7666] £480.00