London, printed for Robt. Sayer No. 53 in Fleet Street. As the Act directs 30 August 1772.
Mezzotint. 475 x 560mm. Lettered in panel at bottom, published state. Slightly rubbed.
A group of men and women stand conversing amongst tall marble pillars, inside a richly decorated hall. In the background are more open rooms, with statues set within niches along the wall. Further figures congregrate throughout. The Pantheon, was a place of public entertainment on the south side of Oxford Street. It was designed by James Wyatt, and opened in 1772. One of the largest rooms in England, the main rotunda, with its central dome, was somewhat reminiscent of the celebrated Pantheon in Rome. Orginally built as a set of winter assembly rooms, it was later briefly converted into a theatre. Before being demolished in 1937, it was a bazaar and a wine merchant's show room for over a hundred years. Michel Vincent Brandoin (1733 - 1790) was a Swiss painter, watercolourist, draughtsman, and caricaturist who working out of London. Although he was often called, and is referred to, as Charles Brandoin, his real name was Michael Vincent.
Wessely 100.II. CS:45. BM:5091.
[Ref: 7221] £2,200.00