This View of the Eastern Window of the Chapel of the Rolls completed 1820,is dedicated by Permission ro the Right Hon.ble Sir Tho.s Plumber KN.t Master of the Rolls by his Humble Servant, W.m Raphael Eginton.
Engraving. 425 x 270mm. Some wear to margins.
A stained-glass window with the armorial of the Master of the Rolls, with the personal arms of some of the Masters from 1362 to the encumbent, Thomas Plumber, from 1818 to 1824. To be Master is to serve in one of the highest offices in Law. It was a private chapel, built to serve Henry III's royal foundation of the Domus Conversorum in 1232. The inquisition into its affairs in 1308 was ordered by the King, but from 1377, when the Domus and the chapel were attached permanently to the office of Keeper of the Rolls, it became the private chapel of the Master of the Rolls. The Masters and clerks of Chancery had right to seats in it. At a later date other people could rent pews. From time to time the King interfered in the appointment of clergy: not successfully (?1638) when the Master of the Rolls refused to allow a royal nominee Matthew Griffith to officiate in the Chapel; successfully in 1684 when Harbottle Grimston was forced to dismiss Gilbert Burnet after the Guy Fawkes' day sermon which offended James II. Burnet says that 'North [Lord Chancellor] writ to the Master of the Rolls, that the King considered the Chapel of the Rolls as one of his own Chapels'. But Burnet was rather notorious and the King was James II. There are no later cases of royal interference or intervention by the Lord Chancellor. It is unlikely that any converts lived in the house, the Chapel was not very important and was rather neglected except as providing a nice little sinecure for 'clerical' relatives and friends of the current Mr., and of course, a rather gracious place for services.
[Ref: 7086] £260.00