A View of The Charter House taken from The Green. To the Noblemen & Gentlemen Educated at The Charterhouse School, this Plate is most respectfully Dedicated by Their Most Obedient Servant, Robt Saml Cribb.
[Published by R. Cribb. n.d. c.1813].
Coloured aquatint engraving. Sheet 510 x 360mm. Trimmed inside plate mark at top and bottom. Publication line missing. Light age-toning of paper and stain through dedication.
Extremely rare. In 1611 a hospital for pensioners and a school for boys were established in buildings near Smithfield in London which had once housed a Carthusian monastery. Pupils have always been referred to as Carthusians. The School moved to the Deanery Farm Estate, just outside Godalming, in 1872, having sold the original site to Merchant Taylors.
[Ref: 6431] £520.00