A Geometrical Plan, & West Elevation Of His Majesty's Dock-Yard, and Garrison at Sheerness, with the Ordanance , Warfe, &. C.To the Honourable Lewis Monson Watson Knight of the Shire for the County of Kent, and Auditor of the Imprest, This plate is humbly inscribed by his most Obedient Servt. Thos. Milton.
Publsih'd according to Act of Parliament Thos. Milton. 14 April 1755.
Engraving 495 x 660mm. Trimmed to plate, centre fold, minor nicks and scratches
Explanation and Key to plan and elevation left and right. Sheerness was the focus of an attack by the Dutch navy in June 1667, when 72 hostile ships during the Raid on the Medway compelled the little 'sandspit fort', to surrender and landed a force which for a short while occupied the town. Impressed by the civil behaviour of the Dutch marines - they paid for their dinner - the town reinvited the Dutch Marine Corps for the third centennial of the raid. Pepys at Gravesend remarked in his diary 'we do plainly at this time hear the guns play' and in fear departed to Brampton in Huntingdonshire. Sheerness was also the site of a Royal Dockyard which, although not as large as those at Chatham and Deptford was still of some importance in Tudor and Stuart England. During the Victorian age a warship was built which still exists - HMS Gannet (an 'Osprey' class Sloop) which was launched on 31 August 1878.
[Ref: 4258] £650.00