The City Light Horse Volunteers reviewed by Lord Harrington on Wimbledon Common.
Rare finely coloured copper engraving, top section of a writing sheet. Paper 140 x 370mm (5½ x 14½"). Mounted on album paper.
The header section of a broadsheet writing sheet. The title "Sword Exercise of of the Cavalry" refers to vignettes down the side, not present here. The Light Horse Volunteers, first formed by well-to-do London merchants in 1779 and disbanded in 1783, were re-established in May 1794 as the Light Horse Volunteers of the Cities of London and Westminster. Their chief role was to suppress civil disobedience. However, as rich men with expensive gear, their reputation as soldiers was not good: the Cato Street Conspiritors planned to raid their stables as part of their plot in 1820.
[Ref: 40354] £180.00