Society for the Encouragement of Arts, &c. Adelphi.
London. Pub. July 1st, 1809 at R. Ackermann’s Repository of Arts 101, Strand.
Coloured aquatint. Platemark: 235 x 275mm (9¼ x 10¼") very large margins.
Founded in 1754 by William Shipley as the Society for the Encouragement of Arts, the RSA moved into a purpose-built building designed by the Adam Brothers (James and Robert Adam) in their Adelphi development,. This scene shows the Great Room, with its sequence of six paintings by Irish artist James Barry: called "The progress of human knowledge and culture". A plate from Ackermann's 'Microcosm of London' (1808-9), a landmark publication in the documentation of London, bringing together two specialist artists, Thomas Rowlandson to design the figures and Augustus Pugin to provide the architectural draughtsmanship. The result was a series of scenes unprecedented in their combination of vivid activity and architectual accuracy.
Abbey, Scenery: 212.
[Ref: 40125] £180.00