[Holy Island Cathl.]
Etching, signed in pencil. Plate: 175 x 270mm, (7 x 10½"). Small tear into lower left of margin.
The ruined cathedral on Lindisfarne, also known as Holy Island, Northumberland. The priory was founded c.635 but overrun by vikings in 875, it was re-established in 1093 as a Benedictine house and continued until its suppression in 1536 under Henry VII. Harry George Webb (1882-1914) was a landscape and architectural painter and etcher, who exhibited at the Royal Academy and the Royal Society of Etchers. He set up the Caradoc Press in Chiswick in 1899 with his wife Hesba.
[Ref: 39784] £70.00