Vue d'une Partie du Couvent de St. CosimatoAvec le pont moderne, Sur l'Anio et une partie de l'aqueduc de Claude
Engraving, platemark 380 x 465mm (15 x 18¼"). Slight crease;
The Complesso Conventuale di San Cosimato in Vicovaro, near Rome. The ancient convent was completely rebuilt between 1727 and 1735, and part of the new convent can be seen in the top left, although the view is dominated by the Claudian aqueduct and modern bridge crossing the river Aniene. From a series of Italian views after Philipp Hackert (1737 - 1807). Born in Prenzlau north of Berlin, Hackert came to Italy in 1768, settling in Rome where he joined a German group of artists also including Anton Raphael Mengs and the art historian Johann Joachim Winckelmann. In 1786 he settled in Naples as court painter to Ferdinand IV. The British painter Joseph Wright painted almost the exact same view a few years after Hackert (the painting is in the Walker Art Gallery, Liverpool).
Provenance: Torridon House Lovelace/King Family
[Ref: 39737] £290.00