West Side of Quadrangle.Containing a portion of The House of Lords, and The House of Commons, The Library, and part of The House of Commons Offices. Designed by T. Hopper.
Lithograph. Printed area 340 x 360mm (21¼ x 14¼"). Repaired tear entering image on right.
A design as part of Thomas Hopper's proposal for the rebuilding of the Palace of Westminster after the devastating fire of 1834, with the same Gothic look as the eventual winning design, that of Charles Barry. The staffage was added as an afterthought: the lines of the building can be seen through the figures. Hopper (1776-1856) was a Scottish architect who had been employed by the Prince Regent to create a Gothic conservatory adjoining the dining room of Carlton House. His building for Arthur's Club at 69 St James's Street is now occupied by the Carlton Club, known for his conservatory.
[Ref: 39712] £190.00