Prise au Couvent des Recollets en allant aux Aqueducs [...]
[Published by George Hackert, c.1795]
Engraving, platemark: 430 x 575mm. (17 x 22¾"). Trimmed to plate.
The city of Caserta, in the Campania region of Italy, showing its famous palace. Begun in 1752 for Charles VII of Naples, it was only partially completed by his son, Ferdinand IV of Naples. One of the largest buildings in Europe in the 18th century, it is now a designated UNESCO World Heritage Site. Inscribed underneath is a dedication to Ferdinand IV (1751 - 1825) with a coat of arms in the centre. Engraved by Georg Hackert (1755-1805) after a painting by his brother Philipp (1737 - 1807), during the time when they both held official positions at the Neapolitan court before fleeing the city at the time of the 1799 Revolution. During Philipp Hackert's time in Naples he became a close friend of Goethe, who edited and published the artist's memoirs after his death.
Provenance: Torridon House Lovelace/King Family
[Ref: 39576] £520.00