Vue du Couvent de St. CosimatoEn venant de Vicovaro sur la Voie Valerienne anc: Via Valeria [...]
Fine engraving, platemark: 380 x 465mm. (15 x 18¼").
Distant view of the Complesso Conventuale di San Cosimato, near Vicovaro in the countryside surrounding Rome. An oratory was first built on the site in around 500AD, but the convent was completely rebuilt in 1727. One of a series of landscapes of the Roman countryside after gouaches by Philipp Hackert (1737 - 1807), painter and etcher. Born in Prenzlau north of Berlin, he came to Italy in 1768, settling in Rome where he joined a German group of artists also including Anton Raphael Mengs and the art historian Johann Joachim Winckelmann. In 1786 he settled in Naples as court painter to Ferdinand IV.
Provenance: Torridon House Lovelace/King Family
[Ref: 39573] £360.00