[Cambridge. Trinity College, King Edward's Gate.] 54.[Trinity College was founded in 1546 by Henry VIII., whose statue is above the gateway. It was formed by the amalgamation of a number of older foundations dating from 1324-1336. The Library of Trinity College was built by Wren, who took as his example the Sansovino Library of St. Mark, Venice. The north side of the court is occupied partly be the Chapel with a gateway-tower in the middle (at west end of the Chapel) known bu the name of King Edward's Gate. It was built about 1426-30, and is of quite a different character from that of the later and heavier gate (or Queen's Gate). Thiw was the first gateway-tower with four turrets to be erected in Cambridge; a form of tower which became characteristic of Cambridge colleges. Thomas Neville built westwards of the Gate a new range containing the Library, thus completing the north side of the quadrangle. Among the famous men of the college are John Donne, Abraham Cowley, Andrew Marvell, John Dryden, Sir Issac Newton, George Crabbe, Lord Morley, Lord Byron and Lord Tennyson.]
Etching. Platemark: 280 x 255mm (11 x 10").
[Ref: 39256] £60.00