View of the East Front of the New Theatre Royal, Covent GardenThis Edifice erected under the patronage of his Majesty, stands nearly on the site of the former Theatre.
Published by William Daniell No. 9 Cleaveland Street, Fitzroy Square and by Messrs Longman, Hurst Rees & Orme, Paternoster Row, Sept.r 1 1809
Aquatint with etched border, sheet 300 x 395mm (11¾ x 15½"). Trimmed inside platemark.
The second Theatre Royal Covent Garden, opened in 1809. It was designed by Robert Smirke and modelled on the Temple of Minerva at Athens, with a frieze by Johns Flaxman under the portico. In 1855 this theatre, like the previous incarnation, burned down. Only Flaxman's frieze survived, and this was incorporated into the third theatre on the site, designed by E.M. Barry, which survives to this day as the Royal Opera House. Original print designed and engraved by William Daniell (1769-1837), who besides his skilful engravings was an accomplished topographical watercolourist celebrated for his views in Britain and India.
[Ref: 38695] £350.00