A New Machine to go without Horses [with accompanying letterpress]
Engraving (platemark 170 x 110mm, 6¾ x 4¼") and letterpress (90 x 120mm, 3½ x 4¾").
As Hadland and Lessing ('Bicycle Design: An Illustrated History) note, the idea of using a lackey to tread boards powering the rear wheels of a four-wheeled phaeton had first been suggested by Dr Elie Richard in 1696 without success. This design by the mechanic Ovenden, published c.1775 worked on the same principle. As stated in the description, 'this carriage is in general only calculated for the exercise of Gentlemen in parks or gardens', and in 1775 a garden architect employed by Carl Theodor, Elector of the German Palatinate, purchased a model of this design for the Elector's Schwetzingen summer residence. That phaeton is now in the Deutsches Museum, Munich.
[Ref: 38637] £290.00