A View of the Physic Gardens in the University of Oxford. [parallel text in French]
London, Printed for Rob.t Sayer, Map & Printseller No 53 in Fleet Street, as the Act directs 10 August 1773.
Engraving with original hand-colouring, platemark 340 x 460mm (13½ x 18"). Tears; very fine and rare.
Rare view of the Oxford Physic Garden, with putti presenting plans and scroll bearing the inscription on the entrance to the garden. The view focuses on the famous gateway and entrance portico built by Nicholas Stone after designs by Inigo Jones. Founded in 1621 by Henry Danvers, Earl of Danby, its purpose was the study of medicinal plants. Building the Garden, on the site of the former medieval Jewish cemetery, cost the enormous sum of £5000. Much of that sum went on the walls which enclosed the original garden, and comparatively little was left for plants! It was renamed the Oxford Botanic Garden in 1840 and is the oldest surviving physic and botanic garden in Britain.
[Ref: 38537] £490.00