[Buckingham House in St Iames Park]
Engraving, sheet 300 x 470mm (11¾ x 18½"). Trimmed inside platemark, losing text and coat of arms; creasing; border drawn by hand at edges; label with ms identifying location pasted verso. Very rare and scarce.
Buckingham House in Westminster, London, built in 1703 as a townhouse for the Duke of Buckingham. It was acquired by George III in 1761 as a private residence for Queen Charlotte. During the 19th century considerable alterations and enlargements were made to the residence by George IV, and in 1837 it became the official royal residence of Queen Victoria, now known as Buckingham Palace. Early view of the residence, engraved by Sutton Nicholls. While the plate is best-known for its appearance in the famous 1754 volume of Stowe's Survey of London, it had been sold individually by the publisher John Bowles since 1728.
For uncut later impression see ref. 26386.
[Ref: 38463] £450.00