[Ambrose Godfrey, F.R.S.]Hac Amicitiae tessera Fautorib valedicit Perigri / naturus Ambros: Godfrey Hanckwitz Chym: / ad Phoenici Londini [...]
Engraving, sheet 210 x 135mm (8¼ x 5¼"). Trimmed inside platemark; printer's crease lower left; glued to backing sheet at corners.
Ambrose Godfrey, the elder (1660-1741), chemist. Born in Germany, after moving to England Godfrey first worked for Robert Boyle, and distinguished himself by learning the difficult skill of isolating white phosphorus. Godfrey kept his means of doing so a secret, and maintained a monopoly on his method for over forty years until in old age he disclosed his secret. Godfrey was also employed at Apothecaries' Hall, became a Fellow of the Royal Society and began his own chemical and pharmaceutical trade. One of his more unusual discoveries was the 'fire annihilator', a wooden barrel containing an aqueous solution surrounding a pewter container of gunpowder. In 1723 he successfully demonstrated that the device, when detonated in a burning building (it had a pipe and fuse attached) extinguished the fire by the explosion and dispersed water. Bust after a painting by the Zurich born Rudolph Schmutz (1670-15), a pupil of Kneller, who was in London from 1702 until his death.
Alexander 235 [as done in 1717]
[Ref: 38358] £160.00