Fountain's Abbey, from the South East;Situate two Miles West of Rippon in Yorkshire.
Publish'd 1769 by J. Boydell Engraver in Cheapside No 90, H. Parker in Cornhill No 82, & J. Bowles No 13. in Cornhill.
Coloured engraving. Sheet 380 x 530mm (15 x 20¾"). Trimmed into image on three sides, into inscription area at bottom, laid on board.
Fountains Abbey, the largest and best preserved Cistercian houses in England. Founded in 1132 it lasted for over 400 years, until Henry VIII ordered the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1539. It is now part of the Studley Royal Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. This view was published the year after William Aislabie (1700-81) bought the Fountains estate for £16,000 and added it to the Studley estate that he had inherited, expanding his father's water garden around the abbey.
[Ref: 38167] £260.00