The Return from a Course on Lambourn Downs near Ashdown Park, a Hunting Seat of the Right Honourable Fulwar Lord Craven.
London Printed for Rob.t Sayer, at the Golden Buck near Serjeants Inn Fleet Street. [n.d., c.1750.]
Very scarce engraving. Framed. Printed area: 440 x 320mm (17¼ x 12¼"). Frame size: 455 x 570mm (17¾ x 22½"). Unexamined out of frame.
A scene depicting Lord Fulwar Craven, on horse back, in profile to the right, dressed in hunting costume with a view of Ashdown House in the background. The house was built by William Earl Craven (for the Queen he loved Queen Elizabeth of Bohemia who died before it was finished). It was gifted by the family to the National Trust in 1956 and is now tenanted by Mr. Pete Townsend who has completed a substantial renovation. Another attendant to the hunt is also on a horse, behind to the left. A huntsman with a dead hare is standing before him, with two greyhounds and a smaller horse. Fulwar Craven, 4th Baron Craven, was an English nobleman and sportsman who was educated at Rugby School and Magdalen College, Oxford. He was famously fond of racing and hunting, hunting on his Berkshire estates at Hamstead Marshall and Ashdown Park, keeping his own stud of racehorses and founding a racecourse at Lambourn. He and his brother William founded the Craven Hunt.
Siltzer: Not in.
[Ref: 38013] £650.00