[Five views of the Royal Hospital for Incurables, West Hill, Putney Heath]
Five lithographs and wood-engravings, dimensions from 105 x 170mm (4 x 6¾") to 170 x 200mm (6¾ x 8"). All glued to backing sheets; minor foxing.
The 'Hospital for Incurables' was established in Carshalton, Surrey, in 1854. To meet demand it moved once in 1858, and again in 1863 to the building shown in this prints, Melrose Hall on West Hill, Putney. Formerly part of Lord Spencer's estate at Wimbledon Park (with grounds landscaped by 'Capability' Brown), the architect William Pettit Griffith adapted the hall for its new use. A new wing was built in 1868 (one print shows the proposed additions before they were made). The hospital continues in the same location, but has changed its name more than once since the 1860s, and is now the Royal Hospital for Neuro-disability.
[Ref: 37676] £95.00