Crosby HallFebruary 28 1839[?]
Lithograph on grey paper with white highlights added by hand, printed area 220 x 295mm (8¾ x 11½"). Scarce.
The Banqueting Hall of Crosby Hall, a Medieval house built on Bishopsgate by merchant and diplomat Sir John Crosby (d.1476). It remained in the City until the early twentieth century when it was relocated to Cheyne Walk, Chelsea (it is now the only extant example of domestic architecture built for a London merchant in the middle ages). In the 1830s many prominent citizens were involved in campaigning for the restoration of the hall, which the event shown here may have been related to.
[Ref: 37667] £140.00