The Hospitall of Bethlem.
Engraving. 200 x 155mm, 8 x 6". Trimmed, mounted in album sheet with engravings of St Bartholomew's church, hospital and tomb of Rahere in the church on same sheet.
The crest of St Bartholomew's Hospital, the oldest in London, situated in Smithfield. The shield (previously the Coat of Arms used by John Wakering, Master of the Hospital from 1423 to 1462) is flanked by two invalids. From "Londons Armory Accuratly delineated in a Graphical display of all the Arms, Crests, Supporters, Mantles and Motto’s of every distinct Company and Corporate Societie in the Honourable City of London".
[Ref: 37626] £120.00