Holy Cross, County of Tipperary.
London, Pub, 1, Jan.y 1813 by S.Inman, 7 Lambs Conduit St, Foundling Hospital.
Rare aquatint. 200 x 285mm (8 x 11¼"). Watermarked 'N Sharp 1817'. Large margins. Slight soiling.
A moonlit scene of Holycross Abbey, a ruined Cistercian monastery near Thurles. It got its name from a relic of the True Cross given to the monastery by Queen Isabella, widow of King John. When the abbey was restored in 1969 the Vatican gave them another authenticated relic of the Holy Cross; in 2012 the relic was stolen but recovered the following year.
[Ref: 37390] £95.00