The Britannia Tubular Bridge,Entrance from the Bangor Side.
Lithograph and tintstone, printed area 305 x 245mm (12 x 9˝"). Extremely scarce. Foxing.
The Britannia Tubular Bridge was designed by Robert Stephenson (1803 - 1859) and was completed in 1850. It was constructed to provide trains of the Chester and Holyhead Railway with a passageway across the Menai Straits from mainland Wales to Anglesey. Stephenson’s solution to the problem of how to carry the weight of trains pulling multiple carriages across the straits was to construct the bridge from rectangular iron tubes, through which the trains would run. The railway terminated at Holyhead, which became a major port for travellers to Ireland. The stone lions, a pair of which guard either end of the bridge, were carved by John Thomas.
[Ref: 37375] £360.00