[Pastoral landscape with figures and cattle by a shore]
Pub. Jan. 20 1802 by J. & J. Boydell, No 90, Cheapside &c at the Shakespeare Gallery, Pall Mall.
Etching, platemark 270 x 360mm (10½ x 14¼"). Large margins. State before mezzotinting.
Etching by Richard Earlom (1743 - 1822) after a sketch in the copy of Claude le Lorrain's 'Liber Veritatis' owned by the Duke of Devonshire at Chatsworth. Claude (c.1600-82) was a prolific and successful landscape painter, and, even during his lifetime, forgeries of his work appeared for sale. To combat this Claude made up six albums of tinted sketches of his completed works, each sketch with the name of the purchaser of the painting on the back. The 'Liber Veritatis' (Book of Truth) was then distributed around Europe so that his genuine paintings could be authenticated. The Chatsworth copy of the 'Liber Veritatis' contained 200 drawings, including a frontispiece portrait of Claude and five unrelated drawings. Commissioned by John Boydell, Earlom engraved the full set between 1774 and 1777, when they were published by Boydell in two volumes, each containing 100 prints, numbered 1-200. A third volume of 100 prints was published by Boydell in 1819, which was numbered separately, containing mezzotints by Earlom after other drawings by Claude in various collections.
For a set of 20 plates from the series, in etched outline states, see ref. 20226.
[Ref: 37197] £140.00