[Views of St. Helena; Illustrative of Its Scenery & Historical Associations. From Photographs By G.W. Melliss, Esq. Surveyor-General of the Island, 1857.] The Briars.  Longwood, Old House.  Front View of Longwood House.  Longwood New House.  Bertrand's Cottage Longwood.  St. Paul's Church.  Oak Bank.
Tinted lithographs. Very scarce. Sheet size: 145 x 245mm (5¾ x 9½") each. Light foxing.
Seven of thirteen plates from, 'Views of St. Helena; Illustrative of Its Scenery & Historical Associations. From Photographs By G.W. Melliss, Esq. Surveyor-General of the Island', published in 1857. In 1815, the British government selected the island of Saint Helena as the place of detention of Napoleon Bonaparte. He was taken to the island in October 1815, staying at the Briars pavilion (plate 4) on the grounds of the Balcombe family's home until his permanent home, Longwood House (plates 6, 7 and 8), was completed. He died there on 5th May 1821. During this period, Saint Helena remained in the East India Company’s possession, but the British government met additional costs arising from guarding Napoleon. The island was strongly garrisoned with British troops, and naval ships circled the island.
Abbey Travel: 318: 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12.
[Ref: 36891] £420.00