Lymne Castle, with a distant View of the French Coast.It is situated on the descent of a Hill, about two miles West of Hythe: Its remains bear marks of great Antiquity, but when, or by whom founded, is not certain: It has been suppos'd to be the famous Portius Lemanis; but that the Sea had retired from its spacious Haven, once a Harbour for 250 Danish Vessels, Anno 893. Here it was that Prince Edward, exacted the Oath from the Barons of the Cinque Ports.
[London, Pub.d Jany. 31. 1790 by F. Jukes Engraver, Howland Street.] [but later.]
Coloured aquatint very rare & fine. Sheet 390 x 500mm (15¼ x 19¾"). Tear in inscription area skillfully repaired.
Lympne Castle, built at the former Roman Channel port of 'Portus Lemanis'. The topographical watercolours of Edward Dayes (1763–1804) often contained ruins, and had an influence on the early work of J.M.W. Turner.
[Ref: 36754] £320.00