Received of Mr [Read] the sum of [Thirteen] Shillings, for Two Quarters' Rent for Water, due at Midsummer last, to the New River Company. [17 July] 180.[T.S. Amos,] Collector, No. 7, Upper North Place, Gray's Inn Road.
Letterpress receipt, filled in with ink mss. Sheet 70 x 170mm (2¾ x 6¾").
A rare receipt from the New River Company, the corporation founded in 1619 to manage the New River, an artificial waterway built to bring drinking water from Ware into London. In 1876 the Company's water was found to be the purest of the eight suppliers (not hard as five (including the Chelsea Water Works) still pumped water from the Thames!). The Company was absorbed into the Metropolitan Water Board in 1904. It is interesting that company representatives would attend Peel's Coffee-House in Fleet Street twice a week to receive complaints.
[Ref: 36484] £190.00