Church Missionary Station Regent.
Printed by Waterlow & Sons. [n.d. c. 1870.]
Tinted lithograph with large margins. Rare. Sheet size: 180 x 245mm (7 x 9½").
A view of a Church missionary station, probably West African, with three buildings in the middle ground, paths with figures walking towards a small footbridge over a river in the foreground, and hills in the distace. Historically, missions have been religious communities used to convert local populations to Christianity. Missions often provided the logistics and supplies needed to support that work, as well as a way to 'civilize' recently Christianized indigenous peoples through cultural assimilation and Westernisation.
[Ref: 36321] £130.00