Remains of the Chapel on Inch Kenneth.
Published by Mess.rs Longman & Co. Paternoster Row & W. Daniell, 9 Cleveland Street, Fitzroy Square, London, Nov.r 1, 1818.
Aquatint with fine original hand colour. 230 x 300mm (9 x 12"). Large margins, uncut. Faint text offset.
Inch Kenneth, a tiny island off the west coast of Mull, named after St Kenneth, a follower of Saint Columba. In the 1960s it was owned by the Mitford sisters, before Jessica bought her siblings' shares; she joked that she was going to found a Soviet submarine base there. From William Daniell's 'A Voyage Round Great Britain', a series of 308 aquatints published in eight volumes between 1814-1825, described by R.V. Tooley as 'the most important colour plate book on British Topography'.
Abbey: Scenery, 16; Tooley: Books with Coloured Plates 177.
[Ref: 36299] £190.00